Saturday 25 January 2014

12 Years A Slave


I saw this movie over two weeks ago and I have really struggled to think of something I can say in the review, that won't put people off seeing this extraordinary film of one man's survival against the odds, and his fight to make it back to his family after he is kidnapped and sold into slavery.

You see Steve McQueen's film isn't fun. It is definitely an endurance. At times it is damn hard to watch, but it's such an unbelievable true story that I feel it should be seen. By as many people as possible. Because no matter how hard it is to watch, it is a true story and therefore, people should know that this happened.

Needless to say the performances are out of this world, and in some cases, so far removed from the actors real lives that you wonder how they can play such roles. 

As such, I am not going to go into detail about the plot because I pretty much covered that in my opening paragraph. I'm not going to wax lyrical about the film until there are no surprises left in store. I'm just going to tell you to see it.

Not quite a masterpiece, but worthy of the hype non-the-less. 8 out of 10. 


Viewing Date - 7th January 2014
UK Release Date - 10th January 2014

Cast Overview:
Solomon Northup ~ Chiwetel Ejiofor
Edwin Epps ~ Michael Fassbender
Patsey ~ Lupita Nyong'o
Mary Epps ~ Sarah Paulson
William Ford ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Samuel Bass ~ Brad Pitt
John Tibeats ~ Paul Dano 
Theophilus Freeman ~ Paul Giamatti

Director ~ Steve McQueen
Writer(s) ~ John Ridley (Screenplay) and Solomon Northup (Based on his book "Twelve Years a Slave")

No comments:

Post a Comment