Saturday 8 March 2014

Out Of The Furnace


The only problem I have with the cinema, and this is not limited to Cineworld, this is all cinemas, including the one I used to work at more than 10 years ago, is that they advertise films that are 'coming soon' that they then never show. 

This happened recently at Cineworld where they showed the trailer for August: Osage County for months leading up to it's release, and then they never got the damn film. The same thing happened with Out Of The Furnace. They showed the trailer, even had the poster up to signal the film's imminent release, and then lo and behold, they never showed the film. I found out a couple of weeks after it's scheduled release date that my local independent cinema, The Duke Of York's, was showing the film, and so my cinema buddy and I went to watch it.

The last film we saw at the Dukes was On The Road. Which was a pretty awful movie by any standards, but the fact that we paid £9+ for the privilege made the film that little bit more awful. I hoped Out Of The Furnace would not leave us with that same ache in our wallets.

The film tells the story of the Baze brothers; Rodney (Affleck), who between tours of Iraq looks after his ailing father, and Russell (Bale), who has a simple but fulfilling life with his girlfriend Lena (Saldana) and a good job at the local steel mill. Russell's life gets turned upside down due to bad decisions made by his brother, all starting with Rodney's involvement with a small time loan shark John (Dafoe), and leading up to him taking part in a shady underground boxing ring upon returning from Iraq. Rodney and John meet some very unsavory characters on the boxing circuit, but none more-so than Harlan (Harrelson). They soon find out they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

From the trailer I knew this was not going to be a fun film, but it looked worthy of seeing, and like the performances would pack a punch. In that respect the trailer definitely sold the film on the right merits. And I have to say that I wasn't especially disappointed with the film, I just didn't love it. 

The performances are all exemplary, and although this is definitely an ensemble piece, Christian Bale yet again shines out the brightest. Something I think everyone has become accustomed to. I don't think he knows how to give a bad performance these days, but it's a good thing because everyone else seems to step up their game around him. I certainly don't think I've seen Casey Affleck or Forest Whitaker give performances this good, maybe ever?  Woody Harrelson on the other hand is another actor who I just think gets better and better with time, and he is a wonderful adversary to Bale's protagonist. I don't think I've ever seen him be more unhinged, and he certainly played a character the likes of which I hope I never meet. 

*Spoiler Alert* I just wish there had been a better outcome for Russell in the movie so that it didn't feel as though you went through this horrible situation with him, and then for him to come out the other side with nothing but his freedom? *End Spoiler*

If you enjoy the darker side of cinema, and want to see some really great acting from some of the best Hollywood has, I would definitely recommend Out Of The Furnace if it's showing at a cinema near you. But as that's unlikely I would recommend you get the DVD when it's out. If you prefer something a little more fluffy with a happy ending then avoid, this one is not for you. 7.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 23rd February 2014
UK Release Date - 29th January 2014

Cast Overview:
Russell Baze ~ Christian Bale
Rodney Baze Jr ~ Casey Affleck
Harlan DeGroat ~ Woody Harrelson
Lena Warren ~ Zoe Saldana
Wesley Barnes ~ Forest Whitaker
John Petty ~ Willem Dafoe
Gerald "Red" Baze ~ Sam Shepard

Director ~ Scott Cooper
Writer(s) ~ Brad Ingelsby and Scott Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment