Sunday 8 November 2015

Brooklyn


When in London for the weekend and you're faced with a day of rain, there's only one thing for it, a movie.

My companions and I weren't sure what to see as we'd initially wanted to check out Crimson Peak, but that had mostly finished. Then we considered seeing Burnt, but I'd already promised to see that with another friend. Finally, one of our group suggested seeing Brooklyn as she is a fan of Saoirse Ronan. 

I've only seen Ronan in a couple of movies, How I Live Now and Lovely Bones (I don't count Atonement as I honestly don't remember anything about her in that, other than her being the little sister who ruins everything for Keira Knightley's and James McAvoy's characters) and I wasn't particularly impressed by her in either of those offerings. I recently caught a bit of The Host when it was on TV but again I wasn't particularly gripped by the performances or the storyline and eventually I changed channel. 

I knew nothing about Brooklyn other than who the star was, and as such, I must admit that I went in with rather low expectations.

The movie tells the story of Eilis Lacey, a girl growing up in Ireland in the 1950's who gets shipped off to live in Brooklyn through an arrangement made by her sister Rose, and priest Father Flood. At first she is homesick but she eventually builds a life for herself in Brooklyn, meeting a nice young man out there and wanting to settle down. But when family tragedy strikes, Eilis must decide where her heart really lies.

It was only after the film was a short way in that I remembered reading a little about the story and I recalled thinking that it sounded quite creepy, this young girl being shipped to Brooklyn through an arrangement with a priest. Thankfully the movie is quite the opposite. The friendship between Eilis and Father Flood is a sweet one, he's very much a guide and father figure for Eilis and their scenes together are lovely. As is the film as whole.

I cried a lot more than I was expecting to, it is very much a weepie, but it's so rich with characters who you absolutely fall in love with, from the idyllic boyfriend Tony, to the girls in the boarding house, including the head of the house Mrs Kehoe, played brilliantly by Julie Walters, right down to Tony's little brother who steals the two scenes he's in completely. It's a genuinely lovely, heartwarming story and I could not fault a single thing with it. 

I guarantee that such a nice little movie will not be around for long so I urge you to see it while you can. 9 out of 10.

 

Viewing Date - 7th November 2015
UK Release Date - 6th November 2015

Cast Overview:
Eilis Lacey ~ Saoirse Ronan
Tony Fiorello ~ Emory Cohen
Jim Farrell ~ Domhnall Gleeson
Father Flood ~ Jim Broadbent
Madge Kehoe ~ Julie Walters
Miss Kelly ~ Brid Brennan
Mrs Lacey ~ Jane Brennan
Rose Lacey ~ Fiona Glascott

Director ~ John Crowley
Writers ~ Nick Hornby, Colm Toibin (based on his novel of the same name)

No comments:

Post a Comment