Sunday 6 March 2011

The Adjustment Bureau


If you've read my reasons for doing this blog, you'll know the last thing I want to do is steal from another review. The very last thing I EVER want to do is steal from an Empire review. So obviously I won't. What I will say is that they categorised this film so perfectly that I at least have to tell you what they said. So to paraphrase with the utmost respect, Empire's Helen O'Hara who said that The Adjustment Bureau is "Inception for romantics". She nailed it. And that is why I want to be one of them!

I knew very little about The Adjustment Bureau going in, I'd just seen the posters on the bus shelters around Brighton. I hadn't seen the trailer and I hadn't read anything about it (not even Empire's four star review). If, like me, you haven't done any research on the film please allow me to elaborate.

The Adjustment Bureau opens on the campaign trail of New York Congressman David Norris (Matt Damon). We see him flying high in the polls and then bottoming out when pictures surface of his bar fighting, prank pulling past. While practicing his 'down but not out' speech for the announcement of his lost election he meets Elise (Emily Blunt) who inspires him to tell the truth to the public as she thinks they'll reciprocate more to an honest man. He does this and although the election is lost, David's popularity soars. A few weeks pass and David meets Elise again, by chance, and she gives him her number. Moments later David is kidnapped by a bunch of trilby wearing men who tell him he must never see Elise again as doing so would be going against 'The Plan'. 

Does David fight for who he believes is the person he's meant to be with, or go along with the design in store for his future? You'll have to see the film to find out. What I will tell you is that this is a nail biting, tense thriller which also has a believable love story running alongside it. You wouldn't think those two genres would go together but they work surprisingly well when teamed up. Without the love story I'm not sure what you'd root for here. With it, and I know this sounds cheesy, the film has heart. It makes you so passionate about the outcome of the film that you'll never have been happier to see a love story spliced with a thriller.

*Spoiler Alert!* About two thirds of the way in I was thinking, "if these two don't end up together then this has been a really shit film!". I'm sure my score mixed with aforementioned comment will give away the ending, hence the spoiler alert!

I was half hoping after Matt Damon's performance in Hereafter that this film would be a dud, or at least that he would be. The half of me that was hoping he'd be good was not disappointed. His performance here was just as good (though not as emotional as Hereafter - but then the movie is totally different) and I find, for the second time this year, that I am swiftly becoming a Matt Damon fan. Something I've never been and never thought I'd be. Emily Blunt was her usual marvellous self showing her vulnerable and quirky sides and making the audience fall in love with her, as she does so frequently with ease. The supporting cast from Terrence Stamp to Anthony Mackie are also faultless and allow the audience to have some feeling towards the bureau rather than have them be a faceless organisation. 

A film that will have you on the edge of your seat while also falling a little bit in love. 8 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 5th March 2011
UK Release Date - 4th March 2011

Cast Overview:

Matt Damon ~ David Norris
Emily Blunt ~ Elise Sallas
Anthony Mackie ~ Harry Mitchell
John Slattery ~ Richardson
Terence Stamp ~ Thompson

Director ~ George Nolfi
Writer(s) ~ George Nolfi (Screenplay) and Philip K Dick (Short Story)


No comments:

Post a Comment