Saturday 5 March 2011

No Strings Attached



Bit of a strange start to this one, as for the first 15 minutes of the film I felt sure I was going to pass out or throw up. Not because of the film or because I ate a dodgy hot dog, I honestly couldn't tell you why? I felt fine going in and fine after I'd gone out for a little air, it's all very odd! Anyway, as I didn't have the luxury of having seen the whole film (I missed around 5-10 minutes while I went outside for air) I'm hoping this review doesn't feel incomplete.

From the poster's tag line I thought this was going to be about two best friends who decide to become friends with benefits. The tag line is misleading, but not in a bad way. The film is actually about two people Adam and Emma, who meet as teenagers at camp, again when they're at college and again when they're adults (the adult versions played by Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman). Here is where I'm a little fuzzy as this is the part I missed. Adam finds out that his dad (Kevin Kline) is sleeping with his girlfriend and goes to Emma's house drunk, hoping to hook up with her. Feel free to correct me if I got that part wrong! It's here they decide to be friends with benefits as they only know each other briefly (not being best friends as the poster suggests!) and having nothing to lose. They make rules not to lie to each other and not to fall in love with the other person. If they do, the person who didn't lie or fall in love is allowed to break it off. 

Despite missing the part of the film when Adam and Emma meet again as adults and finding out how that happened, I did still really enjoy No Strings Attached. It's not life changing, overly intelligent or even that realistic a look a relationships but it doesn't pretend to be. That's why I like it. The film is funny, lighthearted and from the outset, it is what it is. I know I said it's not that realistic, and it's not. For the teenage girls in the audience who kept 'Aaaahing', I hate to break it to you but there are no real life guys out there who are as sweet and thoughtful and perfect as Adam. I'm also sorry to break the bubble of my guy friends but you just aren't like that! Having said that there are moments of realism, the scene where Emma is singing Bleeding Love in the car while eating donuts and crying had me in hysterics. Because I've done that. Maybe to a different song, and likely in the comfort of my own home as I don't drive, but yeah, I've been there and bought that t'shirt. 

I thought it was nice to see Natalie Portman doing something less physically and emotionally taxing after Black Swan. I think both she and her audience needed a break and this was a welcome one. Ashton Kutcher was his usual charming, if one dimensional, self. And both were supported by a great cast, even if Kevin Kline and Cary Elwes were both woefully underused. A fun frolick. 7.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 4th March 2011
UK Release Date - 25th February 2011

Cast Overview:
Natalie Portman ~ Emma
Ashton Kutcher ~ Adam
Kevin Kline ~ Alvin
Cary Elwes ~ Dr Metzner
Greta Gerwig ~ Patrice
Lake Bell ~ Lucy
Olivia Thirlby ~ Katie

Director ~ Ivan Reitman
Writer(s) ~ Elizabeth Meriwether (Screenplay), Michael Samonek (Story) and Elizabeth Meriwether (Story)






No comments:

Post a Comment