Monday 16 May 2011

Home Is Where The Heart Is

My regular readers will know that I recently went back up north to spend the 'Royal Wedding' bank holiday weekend with my friends and family in Lancashire.


My time up north is always a mixed bag of emotions as I love getting to see everyone up there, but it also makes me remember why I left. There is usually at least one argument with my mum and you can guarantee I will spend the first few moments in my mum's flat tidying up, opening windows and trying to find somewhere to sit. 

This trip was no exception.

The nice addition to this trip was that I also spent a really lovely day at a barbeque at my sisters house. My sister has learning difficulties and lives in a shared house with other girls with similar disabilities. Her carer had invited mum and I to attend the barbeque they had planned in aid of the Royal Wedding. But they'd kept my visit as a surprise for my sis and so my arrival generated a huge smile on my sisters face. She came running in and gave me a hug. For anyone who doesn't know my sister, she's not a very affectionate person and so this was a nice surprise for me to have been received this way. 

We spent the day in the garden with fantastic food, even better company, lots of laughs and most surprisingly for Lancashire, the sun even made an appearance!


The next day was my girlie day with my oldest bestest friend. Who funnily enough (as I've just been talking about my sis) I consider more to be my sister than my friend. This is mainly because I've known her forever. We went to infant school together and instantly became best friends. I have fond memories of taking all of my barbies to her house in a bin bag and sitting in the boot of her mums huge car with her dog. She has fond memories of getting to pick children out of our class to accompany her when she visited me in hospital (she got to pick because she was my best friend). 

We spent the day having lunch out, then going on a 4 mile walk around the country roads by her house. We ended the evening by going to her (our) sisters house for dinner and a movie. It was a perfect evening filled with lots of singing, drinking and laughter.


If I'm honest (the backlash will start here), Sunday was the day I'd been most looking forward to as this was the day I was going to see my nephews, my big brother and my sister in law. I find it quite hard to describe my feelings towards my nephews as I hate children (as anyone who knows me will confirm) but I love those boys beyond compare. My young nephew, Riley, doesn't just make me smile. He makes my heart smile. The imagination on those boys puts me to shame, and I'm a writer!

"Aunty Kath" Riley says, and he always waits for me to say "Yes Riley?" then he'll continue to tell me something he did since he last saw me. "Aunty Kath" he says, then waits for me, "Yes Riley?" then he'll tell me how he got a battle scar falling off his scooter. "Aunty Kath" he says, always waiting to make sure he has my full attention. He always has my full attention. I'm pretty sure he always will. 

So Sunday rocked as not only did I get to spend the day with my loving and very supportive family, I also got to accompany my young nephew to his first showing of a 3D film. And not just any 3D film. I happened to be invited to watch the mighty Thor who my nephew loves! I asked him what he scored it out of 10. He thought for a moment "16!" he shouted excitedly. Then later "20 out of 10!" He said I could quote him on that so it went in my review.


My last day was marred by a 24 hour bug I'd somehow picked up but I refuse to let it dampen what was an otherwise fantastic weekend. I'd say that I wish every weekend could be like that, but then I'd have to admit defeat and move back to Lancashire and that's not going to happen. Sussex is my home now but there is a big piece of my heart that's shared amongst the family I left up north. I hope they're keeping it safe until I see them again.

2 comments:

  1. A very nice blog. Fine work on the attack the block review. And riley now has a new pair of earmuffs so not only can he handle the loudest of films but they hold his 3d glasses in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey! Glad to hear it. Good suggestion from Aunty Kath eh? ;0)

    ReplyDelete