Wednesday 11 May 2011

Something Borrowed


One of my favourite films of 2009 was He's Just Not That Into You. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's one of the best romantic comedies ever made. It was so refreshing and different and while it had the obligatory happy ending it didn't end that way for everyone involved. It also showcased the talents of Ginnifer Goodwin and I've been dying to see what she would do next. 


As it turns out, she's not done an awful lot. Some bit parts in movies here and there but I guess she mostly dedicates her time to her part on TV show Big Love, which I must confess I haven't seen. I missed the first series and have been meaning to 'lovefilm' it but haven't yet gotten around to it. I hear it's very good though and that Ms Goodwin is amazing in it. This doesn't surprise me.


So you can imagine how excited I was when I saw the trailer for Something Borrowed. In the film we meet Rachel (Goodwin), who's best friend Darcy (Kate Hudson) is about to marry Dex (Colin Egglesfield). This is great news if you overlook the fact that Dex happens to be the person Rachel has had a crush on since they were at Law School together. Following some late night drinking on the night of Rachel's surprise 30th birthday party, she ends up sleeping with Dex and has to wrestle with the idea of breaking up her two best friends, thus securing her own happiness, or keeping schtum and remaining single and unhappy.


I have to admit that Something Borrowed has suffered somewhat from being the next big film on Ginnifer Goodwin's resume, following He's Just Not That Into You. It's not as original, funny or heartfelt as her previous rom-com. But putting comparisons aside it is still (occasionally) funny and entertaining. It just doesn't really stand out that much from other rom-coms we've already seen. 


Kate Hudson makes the most of playing the annoying best friend role again, as she did so well in Bride Wars, and made me so thankful that my own best friends would never treat me the way her character Darcy treats Rachel. Goodwin, finally getting a starring role, really holds the film together a treat as the girl who always has to play second fiddle to her attention seeking best friend. I also really enjoyed John Krasinski in the role of mutual friend Ethan. His character was the source of most of the films funnier scenes, but it was his portrayal of the friend who never gets the girl that made him memorable for me. The character I was most disappointed with was Dex. I should point out that this is aimed at the character and not so much the actor, newcomer Colin Egglesfield, as I think he was just written to be very weak and I can't see why either of these women would fight over him? 


So to sum up, an enjoyable if not particularly thought provoking way to spend a few hours. Just don't expect too much. 7 out of 10.




Viewing Date - 7th May 2011
UK Release Date - 6th May 2011

Cast Overview:

Ginnifer Goodwin ~ Rachel
Kate Hudson ~ Darcy
Colin Egglesfield ~ Dex
John Krasinski ~ Ethan
Steve Howey ~ Marcus
Ashley Williams ~ Claire

Director ~ Luke Greenfield
Writer(s) ~ Jennie Snyder (Screenplay) and Emily Giffin (Novel)





No comments:

Post a Comment