Friday 24 June 2011

Bridesmaids


I have to admit that when I saw the trailer for Bridesmaids, I just wasn't entirely sure I'd like it. It seemed like it could go one of two ways. It might be funny or it might be attempting to be the female version of 'The Hangover'. And after the disappointing sequel to that movie, I wasn't sure I could sit through what would undoubtedly be worse than that, a wannabe 'Hangover' for girls.

Before I tell you whether it turned out to be yet another cinematic let down or whether it turned out to be a pleasant surprise, I'm going to throw the bouquet over to the synopsis.

Bridesmaids tells the story of Annie (Kristen Wiig), who has just been asked by her best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph), to be the Maid of Honour at her wedding. Despite Annie's own life being less than perfect, she agrees to be Maid of Honour and takes on the huge list of responsibilities that go with it. This involves things like planning the bachelorette party and bridal shower. A daunting task for anyone, but as Annie has to compete with Lillian's perfect new friend Helen (Rose Byrne) things soon go from bad to worse.

The good news is that the writers have actually managed to put a fun spin on all of the more serious overtones in the movie and managed to create a genuine, funny film with lots of heart. Guys, come back! It's not a chick flick by any stretch of the imagination!

Speaking of guys, the Hangover crew could learn a thing or two from these leery ladies. I am happy to report that I really, properly, laughed out loud several times during Bridesmaids. Something I would struggle to say about the rest of this years so called 'comedies'.

I will admit that it does take a little time for Bridesmaids to hit it's stride. There are two early scenes which will either work for you or they won't. For me they didn't entirely work, but it didn't spoil the overall experience, and once the film got going I found it got funnier and funnier. And the more I connected with the characters the more emotionally tied in I was, and before I knew it there were tears as well as laughter. 

Kristen Wiig is one talented lady as she not only stars in Bridesmaids, she also co-wrote it. So while I can't say she was well cast (as I'm pretty sure she wrote the part for herself) I can say that she is great in this role. Annie could easily be a despicable character with no redeeming features, but Wiig portrays her humanity as well as her humour, brilliantly. Meaning you don't hate her for the bad things she does, you just feel her pain. Kudos also goes out to the casting of Chris O'Dowd as Annie's cop friend Rhodes. I would never have pegged O'Dowd as being able to portray a somewhat sexy leading man but he pulls it off perfectly. 

They are the two shining stars of a faultless cast who have outdone themselves in the comedy stakes, creating a film with heart as well as a funny bone. 8 out of 10.





Viewing Date - 22nd June 2011
UK Release Date - 24th June 2011

Cast Overview:
Kristen Wiig ~ Annie Walker
Maya Rudolph ~ Lillian Donovan
Rose Byrne ~ Helen Harris
Melissa McCarthy ~ Megan
Wendi McLendon-Covey ~ Rita
Ellie Kemper ~ Becca
Chris O'Dowd ~ Officer Nathan Rhodes
Jill Clayburgh ~ Annie's Mother
Jon Hamm ~ Ted
Rebel Wilson ~ Brynn
Matt Lucas ~ Gil

Director ~ Paul Feig
Writer(s) ~ Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo

No comments:

Post a Comment