Wednesday 29 June 2011

Transformers: Dark Of The Moon


I realise that this review is going to reveal me as being a somewhat non-committal movie star harlot but I have yet another actor type crush to reveal. Not satisfied with Jake, Bradley and Ryan I also have to add Shia to the mix.

And like Jake, I have met him too. Well, sort of whacked him actually. And he was lovely about it. So don't believe everything you read about famous people coz they're not all lousy!

Anyway, enough of that and on with the film. As a Shia fan you might have guessed that I was quite looking forward to Transformers 3. I also rather like the Autobots (although my friend didn't believe me when I told her that was why I owned the first film on DVD, "you like it because of the ROBOTS?" she'd asked me, trying to wangle out of me the real reason I had the film).

The third (and part of me hopes the final) installment of the Transformer Trilogy opens with the "real" reason that the American's rushed to be the first to go to the moon in the 60's. The film tells us that this was because a ship from the Transformers home world, Cybertron, which contained revolutionary technology, crash landed on the moon and the American's wanted to be the first to find out what it was. Since then, the Decepticons have been to the "Dark of the Moon" of the film's title and taken the items from the crashed ship, which turn out to be a teleportation device. It's only then that the dopey Decepticons discover that the device can only be operated by the ship's pilot, the former Autobot leader Sentinel Prime, who is still marooned on the moon. The Autobots go on a mission to retrieve Sentinel and re-gain the stolen items from the Decepticons.

Although I said that part of me hopes this will be the last Transformers film, I should point out that my reason for this is that this would be a really good note to end on. At least for a while. It's a vast improvement on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen which was too long and a big, overblown mess. This is a shorter film for one, the action set pieces don't feel like they take over too much, it has a decent, not-too-complicated plot, and unlike the last film, this time when the Transformers die, they stay dead. Which I have to say was very upsetting for me as one of my favourites dies in this film. But I won't spoil it by saying who.

My only criticism would be that the ending is quite cheesy and abrupt, whereas the last two films felt like they had a good 5 minutes where they wrapped everything up nicely, this one just sort of, ends! 

Not even the addition of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who I expected to find annoying, spoiled it for me (although her lips are faintly ridiculous!). 

Enjoyable and action packed. More movies like this would mean a good start to the summer. 8 out of 10. 


Viewing Date - 29th June 2011
UK Release Date - 29th June 2011

Cast Overview:
Shia LaBeouf ~ Sam Witwicky
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley ~ Carly
Josh Duhamel ~ Lennox
John Turturro ~ Simmons
Tyrese Gibson ~ Epps
Patrick Dempsey ~ Dylan
Frances McDormand ~ Mearing
John Malkovich ~ Bruce Brazos
Kevin Dunn ~ Ron Witwicky
Julie White ~ Judy Witwicky
Alan Tudyk ~ Dutch
Ken Jeong ~ Jerry Wang

Director ~ Michael Bay
Writer ~ Ehren Kruger


No comments:

Post a Comment