Tuesday 20 September 2011

I Don't Know How She Does It


On seeing the trailer for this film I said to my cinema buddy "that looks rubbish, but I'll probably end up seeing it." As it turns out, I was right, as it did look rubbish and I did end up seeing it. Most readers will not be surprised that I went to see this film but I'll go on record now and admit I'm not the biggest Sarah Jessica Parker fan in the world. I like Sex And The City, like most girls, but it took me a long time to get on board with it. If I'm honest, my problem with SJP is that I don't really know if she can cut it when she's not playing Carrie? 

I didn't like The Family Stone, Failure To Launch was okay, and I didn't even bother with Smart People or Did You Hear About The Morgans? But as my best friend of the north is the biggest SATC fan there is I felt I owed it to her to see (and review) this film. Fortunately for me, my best friend of the south has as much of a weakness as I do for chick flicks and agreed, along with my cinema buddy, to accompany me to see the movie.

I Don't Know How She Does It is based on a novel of the same name by Allison Pearson (I can feel this being added to the book club wish list already). It tells the story of Kate (SJP), a working mother who lets the world have an insight into how she juggles her career, working in Boston's financial district, her 2 kids, her husband, their nanny, her boss, possible promotion, school bake sales, head lice... you name it and she deals with it. Interviews with her friends and colleagues help to narrate the story but we also have Kate narrating (which is a bit Carrie!) and telling us about the lists of things she needs to do, that keep her awake at night. Will she be able to keep all her balls in the air (pardon the expression), or will her juggling act prove that she was just a clown all along?

The idea of the film (and I'm guessing the book too) is to show how one particularly organised mother of 2 manages to hold down a full time job. The reality is a film which tells us that the key to success are endless lists which you write on the bedroom ceiling, in your mind. Err okay. You also need an under-appreciated nanny, an assistant who it appears does all of your work for you and husband who never suspects you of having an affair no matter how many 'business trips' and 'late nights at the office' you have. Oh and you need to have the ability to ignore the blatant 'come on's of your boss. Mmmm.

One of my problems with the film were the 'interviews' with friends and colleagues. This suggested the film would be a 'documentary' style with Kate as the subject, but then the rest of the film just didn't fit with that at all. Plus, not only does Kate's stop time narration go against the idea of her being the subject, as I said in the synopsis, it also feels a bit too 'Carrie'. 

The film is also highly unbelievable, maybe because it's trying so hard to be 'real'? But somehow, despite the unrealistic nature of the storyline, the film doesn't come across all that badly. I would suggest this is down to the performances, but as two of the three leads are Sarah Jessica Parker and Pierce Brosnan I don't think this can be right? In truth I don't know how it works or why it works, but on some level it does work. Sarah Jessica Parker does have chemistry with both Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear, and while I'm not her biggest fan, she is relatively convincing as a mother struggling to keep it all together. 

It's not going to win any awards (and if it does I may kill myself) but it's watchable, with likable characters and it doesn't require the use of too much brain power. So ladies, if you want to just veg in front of a film after a long hard day of 'real' work, you won't go too far wrong with this. 

Better than it looked but still not great. Watchable 6.5 out of 10.



Viewing Date ~ 18th September 2011
UK Release Date ~ 16th September 2011

Cast Overview:
Sarah Jessica Parker ~ Kate Reddy
Pierce Brosnan ~ Jack Abelhammer
Greg Kinnear ~ Richard Reddy
Christina Hendricks ~ Allison Henderson
Kelsey Grammer ~ Clark Cooper
Seth Meyers ~ Chris Bunce
Olivia Munn ~ Momo Hahn
Busy Philipps ~ Wendy Best
Jessica Szohr ~ Paula

Director ~ Douglas McGrath
Writer(s) ~ Aline Brosh McKenna (Screenplay) and Allison Pearson (Novel)

2 comments:

  1. I can recommend the Morgans as it's not a bad little rom-com.

    As for Tinker Tailor, can't really recommend that. Sorry.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Is it that bad? Thought it looked good? And with a cast as stellar as that had I didn't think you could go wrong. May still see it? And may look into the morgans now you've said that.

    Btw, you've been away too long! I miss your comments! You're the only one who does!

    ReplyDelete