Saturday 3 September 2011

One Day


One Day is a movie that a lot of people had anticipated for some time. To me, on the other hand, it seemed to come out of nowhere. This is because I am apparently the only person in the civilised world who'd never heard of the book. 

No sooner had I learned about the movie, and in turn the book, when I also found out the movie was finished and there was a trailer. In which Anne Hathaway - a woman I've admired for some time, for her on screen ability to get Jake Gyllenhaal into a state of undress - has a northern English accent. Or so it seemed, for her character is actually supposed to be from Yorkshire? But as a northern girl myself, this was something I had to see.

So I somewhat dragged my cinema buddy to see One Day. A film which tells the story of one relationship that spans 20 years. The title is so chosen because every scene is set on the same day every year. 15th July. The opening scene is set on 15th July 1988, when Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter (Jim Sturgess) meet, officially, for the first time. As Emma points out, they had met once before when Dexter crashed her birthday party, called her by another girls name and spilt red wine down her top. This pretty much tells us all we need to know about Dexter. He is a cocky womaniser who likes to drink. This also tells us a lot about Emma. That despite Dexter's appalling behaviour she forgives him, and remains his friend. The film continues showing us snippets of Emma and Dexter over the next 20 years, their relationships, their ups and downs, their careers and ultimately how entwined their lives are with one-another. I can't say much more than that without giving everything away.

The one thing that the movie has accomplished is that it has made me want to read the book. This is unfortunate as I think the audience for the film will predominantly be people who've already done that. And I suspect those people will find the film disappointing. The film misses out a year here and there, which I'm sure in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter. There can't have been a lot that happened in those years for the film makers to consider leaving those out. But to fans of the book, I'm sure this alone is cause for outrage. The other reason I suspect the book fans will not be happy lies with the casting of Anne Hathaway. As much as I love her, even I can say with disappointment that her accent is not up to scratch. Which is a shame as there are certain words she's picked up on really well. For example in the trailer she says 'Tuesdies and Fridies' which is spot on. But then the rest of the sentence just isn't right.

It's a big ask, but if you can put aside the accent, I do think she does a really good job of playing Emma. A character who takes so much c%@p from her supposed best friend could have been downtrodden and had an unsympathetic reaction from the audience. But the way Hathaway plays her gives her a fiestiness which doesn't allow her to be walked over. She's also believable at not only the different ages but also as a plain, kinda dumpy girl, working in a fast food restaurant. She doesn't look out of place in that environment. And I don't know of many hollywood actresses who would allow themselves to be de-glamourised in such a way. So don't be too hard on her for the accent. It's one flaw in an otherwise worthy performance.

Sturgess's job on the other hand was much harder. Making Dex likable. He's a despicable character with very few good traits. I'm sure a lot of people will leave this movie wondering why Emma gives him so many chances and why she even likes him at all. As a girl who's been in a similar situation I can only say that no matter how many times your brain tells you he's no good, you can't help but hope that one day he'll change. Who knows, maybe that's another reason for the title. But I digress, as usual. Sturgess does a great job of showing all of Dexter's lesser qualities, the arrogance, the pig-headedness, the womanising, alcoholism and drug taking. But he does manage to win us over in the end. Again I won't go into the hows and the whys as this would give it all away.

Which brings me to the surprise ending. Which won't be a surprise to fans of the book, but as I'd not read the book, the ending was not what I'd expected it to be. I think that's all I can say on the subject though.

Very different from your average rom-com but all the better and richer for it. 8 out of 10. 



Viewing Date - 2nd September 2011
UK Release Date - 24th August 2011

Cast Overview:
Anne Hathaway ~ Emma
Jim Sturgess ~ Dexter
Romola Garai ~ Sylvie
Rafe Spall ~ Ian
Ken Stott ~ Steven (Dexter's father)
Patricia Clarkson ~ Alison (Dexter's mother) 

Director ~ Lone Scherfig 
Writer ~ David Nicholls (Book and Screenplay)



2 comments:

  1. As you predicted, as I had read the book before seeing the movie, I was grossly disappointed in the film. There was so much to fit into 2 hours that I felt the audience could never get to know any of the characters properly - it seemed to leap from one thing to another without ever delving deep enough to gain an affinity with the characters or the storyline - it must have been very confusing for those who had not read the book. And some of the years and scenes which were missed out were, I felt, vital to the storyline ... Dexter's affair with his student & subsequent dismissal, Emma's affair with her boss, the relationship between Dex and his father, Dex being drunk on set, Emma's career as a teacher and how she influenced those children ... it was all missing. Such a shame! Maybe for someone who has not read the book the film did not miss these scenes, but for me the movie was far lesser for their absence. Using your score board I give the movie a 5/10. - Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what Christina, I have since read the book and agree completely that the things they left out were important in order to really get to know the characters. But as you also pointed out, they did only have 2 hours to fit everything in and although I regret the loss of some of the scenes you mentioned above, I can also understand why, in the grand scheme of things that these scenes were left out. In the case of Dex's affair with his student and Emma's affair with her boss, it would have only served to introduce more characters which would have detracted from the core relationship of Emma and Dexter. It's a tough call as I did really love the book. Maybe I need to watch the film again having now read the book? But at the moment I stand by my 8. Really appreciate your thoughts, and score. Thanks for commenting! x

    ReplyDelete