Saturday 7 April 2012

The Lady K Academy Film Awards Day 12 - Best Director and Best Film

The last post in the Lady K Academy Film Awards is upon us. And I have saved the best awards for last. Best Director and Best Film. 


So without further delay I announce the winner of the Best Director is 
Martin Scorsese for Hugo


Anyone who read my review of Hugo back in December will know how passionate I was about the direction of the film and how amazing I thought the 3D was. Well I have recently watched Hugo again, on a 3D TV, and let me tell you, it was just as impressive as it was at the cinema. 

For those who missed it, my review had this to say "Hugo is such a charming film, an absolute pleasure from start to finish. The fact that it was directed by Martin Scorsese makes it all the more incredible. Now I'm not saying old Marty is not a good director. I'm sure we all agree that he has made some magnificent films, but these are films like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, more recently Gangs of New York and Shutter Island. He's not exactly known for charming kids films. 



The other impressive thing about the film being directed by Martin Scorsese is that this is the first time he's shot a film in 3D. And I think this might be the most impressive use of 3D I have ever seen. Everything pops, like a feast for your eyes, from the dust in the train station to the people on screen, it's a visual treat. Mr Scorsese hasn't gone down the classic route of having things come out of the screen, instead he's just made everything three dimensional. It's honestly amazing use of 3D. If you see Hugo, and I highly recommend you do, you should see it in 3D."

It's such a shame that I can't show you the 3D in the trailer below. Instead I will just have to urge you, if you missed this at the cinema (and how you could have when my review pleaded with you to see it), if you find that the film has a one off 3D showing at your local cinema, maybe on a kids club or such, go and see it! Or if you have a friend with a 3D TV, rent the 3D Blu Ray version of Hugo, take it round, and marvel in it's brilliant storytelling and eye opening use of 3D. The best use of 3D I have EVER seen.




Finally, I present the award for Best Film, which goes to The Help

The Help was not only my highest rated new film of last year, it was also the film that had the biggest emotional impact on me. The performances were all superb, which I have hopefully demonstrated through my awards for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress both going to artists from The Help. The direction was well informed and considerate towards the subject matter. The script was spot on. And the overall film, which combined all of these elements was a truly wonderful piece of filmmaking.

I think I've said it all but in case you missed this one too, my review had this to say "
The Help left me feeling that I'd just watched a really great film. This is an eye opening story told with such emotion, had me laughing and crying in equal measure, which was so well executed by all involved. It seemed a story which was very dear to the hearts of everyone who had a hand in it, from the actors to the writers and director. It was a story told with such attention to detail and a lot of love.

I can't recommend this film highly enough. Harrowing in places, unafraid to show the bad with the good, but a film which ultimately proves that humanity can be gracious and kind. But without the schmaltz. As near perfect as a new film has gotten for me this year."

A well deserved winner. The trailer is just to prove my point.




Runners Up for Best Director:
J.J. Abrams - Super 8
Nicholas Winding Refn - Drive
Tate Taylor - The Help

Runners Up for Best Film:
Hugo
Drive
Super 8

You know the drill, agree or disagree I want to see your thoughts below!

No comments:

Post a Comment