Saturday 7 April 2012

The Muppets

Mini Blog

While I have never been a huge Muppets fan I had been looking forward to their new big screen outing ever since the Orange advert changed to the Muppets version. I have never before loved and looked forward to an Orange advert as I loved and looked forward to the Muppets Orange advert. I am still a little bit gutted that it's no longer on.

I went to see the film with two of my friends who are big Muppets fans. One of them owns a Kermit and a Pepe of her own and even dreams about Pepe being her pet. So 'big Muppets fans' doesn't really cover it.

But if I'm honest, whilst I enjoyed the film, it didn't really live up to the promise shown in the Orange advert. There wasn't enough Pepe for one. He was one of the key players in the Orange ad, but he only had one scene in the movie.

And although I appreciate that this wasn't the Pepe show, I found Walter and the Moopets to be quite annoying. And as a lot of the film focused on them I found this made it drag somewhat. The moments that were old school Muppet madness were wonderful however and made up a lot for some of the more mis-guided moments.

The clip I have chosen below is one of the songs in the film 'Man or Muppet' which won the Oscar for Best Original Song. Although musicals are one of my least favourite genres I did like the songs featured in The Muppets, and this song especially made me smile. Mostly for Jim Parsons' (The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon) cameo as Walter's alter ego. 

I think Muppet fans of any age will enjoy this installment, just don't expect too much from it. 6.5 out of 10.




Viewing Date - 16th February 2012
UK Release Date - 10th February 2012

Cast Overview:
Jason Segel ~ Gary
Amy Adams ~ Mary
Chris Cooper ~ Tex Richman
Rashida Jones ~ Veronica Martin

Director ~ James Bobin
Writer ~ Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller
Based on Disney's Muppet properties and characters by Jim Henson

2 comments:

  1. You've got to be my age and to know the original to really enjoy this one.

    Riley's favourite bit was when Jim Parsons appeared. "IT'S SHELDON!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my fave bit too. And was what I said to the girls when he appeared! That pleases me! ;0)

    ReplyDelete