Monday 23 December 2013

Frozen

 
Disney have had a pretty good run recently, what with Tangled and Wreck It Ralph, as well as co-producing Monsters University and Brave with their colleagues over at Pixar. So when I learned (rather late) of Frozen's imminent release, I wanted to see it straight away, not even bothering to wait until the pandemonium of kids had calmed down. It's Christmassy too, what with all the snow, so best to see it now I thought.
 
Frozen tells the tale of two princesses, Anna and Elsa. Elsa discovers from a young age that she can magically create and manipulate snow and ice. Something her younger sister Anna uses to her advantage, waking her sister in the middle of the night to build snowmen with her, at all times of the year. However, when Anna is injured during playtime in the snow, the king and queen erase all memory of Elsa's power from her mind, and Elsa retreats into her room, and into herself. She locks herself away for fear of hurting her sister, and only friend, Anna. It's only when Elsa is to be crowned queen that she finally opens the doors, not only of her room but of the kingdom too. She soon discovers that letting her sister and the townspeople in is not easy, but keeping her secret is much harder still.
 
I thoroughly enjoyed Frozen, although as with many 3D movies recently, I didn't think there was a huge benefit to the 3D. If you are a large family going to see this, especially with small children, I would recommend the 2D version over the 3D as I don't think it will be that noticable to the kids and will be a LOT cheaper in 2D.
 
As with any Disney movie, the animation and voice work is stunning, especially in the case of the two sisters. The 'fun' characters for the kids, Olaf the snowman and Sven the raindeer, are two of Disney's more endearing 'fun' characters, as these are usually a bit on the annoying side for adults.
 
It's a well made animation, for kids and adults alike and has a good story at it's heart, but it didn't connect with me as well as some other Disney stories. I can't quite put my finger on why, as it was as good as Tangled, if not better, but there was some personal element missing. I always cry at Disney movies and I didn't with Frozen. I'm not saying I have to cry for it to be good, but I associate the tears with an emotional connection, and if I didn't cry I can only assume that connection wasn't there.
 
It's still a fantastic film and one for all the family to enjoy, just make sure you go 2D so you've got money for popcorn too! 7 out of 10.
 
 
Viewing Date - 8th December 2013
UK Release Date - 6th December 2013
 
Cast Overview:
(If you don't like knowing who the voices are DONT SCROLL DOWN! ;0)
Anna ~ Kristen Bell
Elsa ~ Idina Menzel
Kristoff ~ Jonathan Groff
Olaf ~ Josh Gad
Hans ~ Santino Fontana
Duke ~ Alan Tudyk
 
Director(s) ~ Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee
Writer(s) ~ Jennifer Lee (Screenplay and Story), Chris Buck (Story), Shane Morris (Story) and Hans Christian Andersen (Inspired by his story The Snow Queen)

No comments:

Post a Comment