Tuesday 24 December 2013

It's A Wonderful Life

 
As many of you know, the reason I became such a huge movie lover is because my brother is one. He used to take me to the cinema when I was too young to go by myself, and he introduced me to a lot of movies that have become some of my absolute favourites, Edward Scissorhands, The Princess Bride, True Romance to name but a few. As you can see, just from those few films, my love of movies is not limited to one genre. And neither is his. 
 
I always remember that when I was too young to appreciate that black and white movies were just as good as colour ones, that one of my brother's favourite films was It's A Wonderful Life. For the longest time I had only ever seen parts of it, and although I understood that it was a classic, I wasn't ever really all that keen to see it all the way through. But it's a Christmas movie, and inevitably, one year, I ended up sitting down with the family and watching it all the way through.
 
This year it had a one day re-release at my local cinema, and when my cinema buddy told me he'd never seen it, I insisted we go.
 
For those who don't know (and shame on you!), It's A Wonderful Life is all about George Bailey (Stewart), a hard working, thoughtful young man, who for no fault of his own, ended up staying in the small town of Bedford Falls that he grew up in, instead of following his dreams to travel the world. George takes over his late father's role in the Bailey Brothers Buildings and Loan and almost goes bankrupt when the old miser of Bedford Falls, Mr Potter (Barrymore), tries to shut them down. On Christmas eve, George's uncle goes to bank the money from the Buildings and Loan when he runs into Mr Potter, and accidentally hands the money to him instead. Mr Potter deceitfully holds onto the cash, in order to get the Buildings and Loan to foreclose, and he hopes to see George in jail just in time for Christmas. With law enforcement waiting at home, George heads to the Bedford Falls Bridge, intending to take his life, but unbeknownst to George, an angel called Clarence (Travers) is looking out for him, and he's about to show George exactly what would have happened to those he loves if he'd never been born.
 
I am not too proud to admit that I spent pretty much the entire length of the movie in tears. I'm a strange creature, and if you read my review for Frozen, you'll know that I tend to take that as a good sign. You see, It's A Wonderful Life is a movie that grabs hold of your emotions from the start, gives them a right good roller coaster of a ride and then leaves you on a high.
 
Stewart and Reed are both tremendous, and as old Potter, Barrymore is so mean that you want to boo him every time he's on screen. Yes, it is sad, but only because of the fantastic writing and acting that makes you care so very much about these characters. And if the end doesn't have you weeping with joy, you must have a heart as cold as Potter. 
 
One of the best Christmas movies, and one which re-affirms the basic goodness of mankind. 10 out of 10.
 

 

Viewing Date - 19th December 2013
Original Release Date - 20th December 1946
 
Cast Overview:
George Bailey ~ James Stewart
Mary Hatch ~ Donna Reed
Henry F Potter ~ Lional Barrymore
Uncle Billy Bailey ~ Thomas Mitchell
Clarence ~ Henry Travers
Ma Bailey ~ Beulah Bondi
Ernie Bishop ~ Frank Faylen
Bert ~ Ward Bond
Violet Bick ~ Gloria Grahame
Mr Gower ~ H B Warner
Harry Bailey ~ Todd Karns
Peter Bailey ~ Samuel S Hinds
Sam Wainwright ~ Frank Albertson
Guiseppe Martini ~ Bill Edmunds
 
Director ~ Frank Capra
Writer(s) ~ Frances Goodrich (Screenplay), Albert Hackett (Screenplay), Frank Capra (Screenplay) and Philip Van Doren Stern (Story). Additional scenes by Jo Swerling. Contributor to screenplay - Michael Wilson.
 
At this time of year, and especially when I am facing personal challenges, I find Clarence's final words to George particularly poignent.

 
It's so true. So to each of my friends, who are worth their weight in gold, Merry Christmas and here's to many more reviews next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment