Sunday 9 February 2014

August: Osage County


Don't you just love Oscar Season? Where all the films have such wonderful acting, but really have very little in the way of a meaningful plot. I am of course referring to films like The Wolf Of Wall Street, but also to this movie. Never before have I seen so many fantastic actors gathered together to tell such a pointless story.

I recall when I saw the trailer with one of my friends and they said 'but what is it about'? And all I could say in response was 'well it seems to be a family drama'. And yes, family drama it is. But my friend was also right, it isn't actually 'about' anything in particular.

The focus of the movie is definitely Meryl Streep's matriarch, Vi, who loses her husband, literally, at the start of the movie, when he ups and disappears and no-one knows where he's gone. From this starting point, unfolds a family drama like no other, and before the end of the movie we have dealt with some very grim topics indeed, such as suicide, incest and paedophilia.

In a nutshell I would describe this movie as a lot of very good actors basically having an argument for the whole film. Which definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea. Certainly there were a couple of people who walked out of the showing I was in.

One thing I will say in the movie's favour is that Julia Roberts shines in this film. I'd be hard pushed to say when she's been better (possibly only in Erin Brockovich). When you see her character for the first time I was thinking 'here we go again, Julia Roberts playing another unrealistic character, with dark hair even though she is probably supposed to be in her 40s, would it kill her to have a few greys in there?' But then you see her in the light. She has grey roots, a middle aged mum tum, and bags under her eyes. It's the most normal, most real person she has ever played. And she's brilliant. And in my humble opinion, all the more beautiful for her appearance. I felt like her character was someone I could go for a drink with. Which I actually said to my cinema buddy. His response was, yes but would you want to? My answer is a resounding yes. I identified with her character a lot, the child that moved away, but is somehow the most relied upon because she is the 'strong' one. But in reality, she is probably the one most in need of someone to be strong for her for a change.

Streep will no doubt get all the praise for this film, and rightly so as she is brilliant. But then she is always brilliant. I think Roberts is definitely the one who deserves the praise.

Due to an ensemble of fantastic actors all fighting to show how good they are, I am glad I saw August, but due to the lack of purpose, and some unsavoury subject matters, I'm not sure I'd want to see it again. 7 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 29th January 2014
UK Release Date - 24th January 2014

Cast Overview:
Violet Weston ~ Meryl Streep
Barbara Weston ~ Julia Roberts
Charlie Aiken ~ Chris Cooper
Bill Fordham ~ Ewan McGregor
Mattie Fae Aiken ~ Margo Martindale
Beverly Weston ~ Sam Shepard
Steve Huberbrecht ~ Dermot Mulroney
Ivy Weston ~ Julianne Nicholson
Karen Weston ~ Juliette Lewis
Jean Fordham ~ Abigail Breslin
Little Charles Aiken ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Johnna Monevata ~ Misty Upham

Director ~ John Wells
Writer ~ Tracy Letts (Screenplay - based on her play)

No comments:

Post a Comment