Wednesday 19 February 2014

The Lego Movie


Yes, I saw The Lego Movie, but before you write me off, allow me to explain my reason for doing so. 

It was recently my cinema buddy's 40th Birthday. As such a HUGE cinema and film fan, he of course wanted to see a birthday movie to mark the occasion. He had already seen the other films that were released that day and decided to go with a preview of The Lego Movie. Figuring it would be more fun than going to see Dallas Buyers Club. You can't argue with that. 

So off we went to watch a movie based on the brick toy that hurts like hell when you stand on it in bare feet, and which I always got bored with as a child because I was never very good at building things. I really wasn't expecting it to be any good.

The story is a relatively easy one to follow. Emmet is your average, run of the mill construction worker, living his normal everyday life like everyone else. That is until he gets left behind on site one evening and stumbles across Wyldstyle, the most beautiful girl he's ever seen. She is looking for the piece of resistance, in the hope of becoming the 'special', a person of significance who will save the universe from the evil President Business. There is only one flaw to her plan, she hadn't anticipated Emmet accidentally falling down a hole and finding the piece of resistance first, thus making him the 'special'. Wyldstyle must work with Emmet to utilize the skills he does have in order to save the day.

I'll be honest, I wanted to see Dallas Buyers Club and I thought this would be an absolute pile of poop. My expectations were incredibly low, but taking it at face value, I actually liked it, a lot. 

Emmet is a really likable character, he's just so nice. I kept turning to my cinema buddy at the beginning of the film and saying "it's you", because he's just as chirpy as Emmet. The other characters all have their own quirks that mean there will be something for everyone.  The story ambles along at a good pace and the main song WILL get stuck in your head. The animation may not look as flashy as Pixar or Disney but it serves it's purpose, which is to tell a fun and enjoyable story. 

It's school holiday this week in the UK. If you've got a kid, or can borrow one easily (I mean by way of a nephew or niece, not stealing one off the street), then take them to see this, I'm sure you'll find yourself smiling, if not singing, by the end. 7.5 out of 10.

 

Viewing Date - 8th February 2014
UK Release Date - 14th February 2014

Cast Overview:
(If you don't like knowing who the voices are DON'T SCROLL DOWN! ;0)
Emmet Brickowoski ~ Chris Pratt
Batman/Bruce Wayne ~ Will Arnett
Wyldstyle/Lucy ~ Elizabeth Banks
Lord Business/President Business/The Man Upstairs ~ Will Ferrell
Good Cop/Bad Cop/Pa Cop ~ Liam Neeson
Benny ~ Charlie Day
Unikitty ~ Alison Brie
Vitruvius ~ Morgan Freeman
Wally ~ Dave Franco
Superman ~ Channing Tatum
Wonder Woman ~ Cobie Smulders
Green Lantern ~ Jonah Hill
Barry ~ Jake Johnson
Lando ~ Billy Dee Williams
C-3PO ~ Anthony Daniels

Director(s) ~ Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
Writer ~ Dan Hageman (Story), Kevin Hageman (Story), Phil Lord (Screenplay and Story) and Christopher Miller (Screenplay and Story)

No comments:

Post a Comment