Saturday 22 November 2014

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

You can find my previous reviews for The Hunger Games here and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire here.
Despite my blog post last week about my less than pleasant experience at the Mockingjay Premiere, I was still excited to see the first part of the final two movies in this series. Especially as I had actually managed to read the book entirely before seeing this film - which was not the case with the previous two films. 

For those who have not read the book I will keep my synopsis short and sweet. Following Katniss' (Jennifer Lawrence) exit from the quarter quell, she has been hidden by Plutarch (Philip Seymour Hoffman) in the underground District 13. Although her family and best friend Gale (Liam Hemsworth) managed to make it out of District 12 before the Capitol destroyed her home, she is still grieving over the loss of Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), and unforgiving to Plutarch and the president of District 13, Alma Coin (Julianne Moore) for not rescuing him from the games arena. Their plan is to make Katniss the Mockingjay, the face of the revolution against the Capitol. At first Katniss is completely unwilling to even discuss the proposition, but when she discovers Peeta is alive, and being used by the Capitol as their pawn, she knows she has to join the fight. But Katniss has conditions, the first of which is that Peeta and the other victors are rescued and pardoned for their involvement with the Capitol.

If you read my previous Hunger Games reviews you will know that it took the book to really make me appreciate the first film, and that reading the second book went a long way to my enjoyment of the second film. I read Mockingjay last Christmas so it wasn't exactly fresh in my mind going into this movie. However, I think that actually added to my experience, as it was nice to have little surprises when certain events happened that I'd forgotten about. 

Katniss' song for example, the hanging tree, I had completely forgotten about, and then when it appeared in the film it actually brought a tear to my eye. The moment is beautifully done, highly emotional, and Jennifer Lawrence has a very raspy childlike singing voice which fitted the song perfectly. The way the song is interwoven into another scene is equally brilliant and I thought it fused the book and the film together in a way I hadn't yet imagined. 

Fans of the book are definitely not going to be disappointed by this installment, and if you've not read the books but are enjoying the films so far I think you will continue to be impressed. I don't know about you guys but I can't wait for Part 2! 8.5 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 21st November 2014
UK Release Date - 20th November 2014

Cast Overview:
Jennifer Lawrence ~ Katniss Everdeen 
Josh Hutcherson ~ Peeta Mellark 
Liam Hemsworth ~ Gale Hawthorne 
Woody Harrelson ~ Haymitch Abernathy 
Donald Sutherland ~ President Coriolanus Snow 
Philip Seymour Hoffman ~ Plutarch Heavensbee
Julianne Moore ~ President Alma Coin
Willow Shields ~ Primrose "Prim" Everdeen
Sam Claflin ~ Finnick Odair
Elizabeth Banks ~ Effie Trinket 
Mahershala Ali ~ Boggs
Jena Malone ~ Johanna Mason
Jeffrey Wright ~ Beetee Latier 
Paula Malcolmson ~ Mrs Everdeen
Stanley Tucci ~ Caesar Flickerman 
Natalie Dormer ~ Cressida
Evan Ross ~ Messalia
Elden Henson ~ Pollux
Wes Chatham ~ Castor

Director ~ Francis Lawrence 
Writer(s) ~ Peter Craig (Screenplay), Danny Strong (Screenplay) and Suzanne Collins (Adaptation of her novel Mockingjay)

No comments:

Post a Comment