Thursday 5 July 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man


When the announcement was made that Spider-man was being re-booted my immediate reaction was one of outrage. Not because I thought the Spider-man story couldn't be better than what we'd already seen, no. I simply thought it was too soon to start over. After all, Spider-man 3 was only released in 2007 and 5 years, to me, is not a sufficent length of time to re-make a film (or series of films) that in my eyes worked pretty well first time around.

Having said that I knew that curiosity would get the better of me and that I would at least see the new Spider-man. If for no other reason than I could say I told you so, to the film-makers and fans who were all losing their heads over this new version.

While this version doesn't stick to the exact story from the Sam Raimi films, it is pretty close to the story we know. Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) is bitten by a Spider and inherits some of it's qualities, such as the ability to crawl up walls. Around the same time, Peter's uncle is killed and Peter decides to use his new found abilities to track down the killer and bring him to justice. 

There are two big differences from this and the Sam Raimi Spider-Man. In this movie the villain is The Lizard/Curt Connors (Rhys Ifans) rather than the Green Goblin and the love interest is Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) rather than Mary Jane Watson. Now those familiar with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films will know that Dr Connors features as Peter's university lecturer in Spider-Man 2 and 3 (yes I'm aware that 3 was the nail in the franchise's coffin as far as many people are concerned), perhaps eluding to the fact that The Lizard was scheduled to become the next villain? Those who've seen Spider-Man 3 will also recall that this introduced Gwen Stacy into the mix too. So it seems that Alvin Sargent who co-wrote the screenplay here and who also co-wrote the screenplay for Spider-Man 2 and 3 might have had a hand in the similarities. And may also explain why this Spider-Man does feel more like a follow on in many ways than an origin story.

But an origin story it is. However, the good thing about this origin story is that there are enough subtle changes, as well as the big changes, to make it feel like you're watching something you haven't seen before.

The cast is a dream and while I was a fan of Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker he just can't compete with the younger and quite frankly much better looking Andrew Garfield. Garfield concerned me going in, I hadn't been all that convinced by him in The Social Network or Never Let Me Go. Sure he's pretty but could he cut it, a brit as the all American geek? He forces me to eat my words as yes, he can cut it. And does indeed cut a fine figure in that rather revealing suit. He's cute and geeky in equal measure and really very believable as a 17 year old boy. OK, maybe 19 but certainly looks younger than Tobey did.

Emma Stone. Ah, Emma Stone. Anyone who's read my review of The Help will know that I have a *little* bit of a girl crush on Emma Stone. Let me tell you, that's gone up a notch. My god is she beautiful in this movie. She just looks flawless. And is similarly cute, vulnerable and yes, even a little geeky as Gwen Stacy. Even Rhys Ifans who I've never really paid much attention to before is really good as Dr Connors, even if I'm still not sure where his accent was from. The supporting cast too, from Denis Leary to Martin Sheen and Sally Field, are all wonderful.

I really wanted to be right about this one but damn you Spider-Man, you are as Amazing as your title suggests. 8.5 out of 10.

NB - Look out for yet another excellent cameo from Stan Lee. And there is a mid-credits scene but nothing after that.



Viewing Date - 4th July 2012
UK Release Date - 3rd July 2012

Cast Overview:
Peter Parker / Spider-Man ~ Andrew Garfield
Gwen Stacy ~ Emma Stone
Dr Curt Connors / The Lizard ~ Rhys Ifans
Captain Stacy ~ Denis Leary
Uncle Ben ~ Martin Sheen
Aunt May ~ Sally Field

Director ~ Marc Webb
Writer(s) ~ James Vanderbilt (Story and Screenplay), Alvin Sargent (Screenplay), Steve Kloves (Screenplay) and Stan Lee and Steve Ditko (Marvel Comic Book)

No comments:

Post a Comment