Tuesday 3 July 2012

Snow White And The Huntsman


I wanted to see this version of Snow White all the way back to when there was speculation that Kristen Stewart's Snow White would be sharing the screen with Viggo Mortensen's Huntsman.

Of course, when the younger - and some would say even more ruggedly handsome - Chris Hemsworth (my close personal friend after the Avengers Premiere) took the role I was even more keen to see it.

You see, unlike most of the Twiverse I do actually like Stewart and have done since I saw her in Panic Room many moons ago. And I also happen to think she's capable of a lot more than playing a stuttery, Edward-dependent version of Bella Swan. I was hoping that here, we'd finally get the gritty, feisty Kristen Stewart to stand up.

*Spoiler Alerts from here on out*
But alas no. She is somewhat feisty in her first scenes, pulling a rusty nail out of the wall in order to use it as a weapon, thus allowing her to escape her prison. But had she seriously not attempted to get out of there long before this? It seems unlikely that she'd all of a sudden be capable of such a strategy. 

Once she's outside in the open she becomes a bit useless again and needs to be rescued by the Huntsman, but let's face it I think we'd all become a bit useless and need rescuing if we were faced with Chris Hemsworth! That's not the unbelievable point really. That comes later when both feisty Snow and the grubby Huntsman are captured and then helped by dwarves. It just makes them both seem a bit pathetic really. 

Believe me I do know that the tale of Snow White typically comes with a side order of dwarves, but when the story strays from the original fairy tale in other ways it does make you wonder why they felt the need to stick so close to that one particular part. One thing I will say about the dwarves is that the CGI on them is flawless. All of the dwarves were portrayed by non-dwarf actors and shrunk down by the magic of CGI.

Another point while we're talking magic. I'd quite like to live in Sanctuary. I realise that it's highly unlikely that it's a real place, but if it is I'd like to go there and forget about work for a bit. Just saying.

Anyway, so Snow gets her feist back by the end and storms the castle to kill the wicked queen. So she's not all that useless after all. Oh yeah and the insipid bloke from the most recent Pirates movie plays the prince. And he's still insipid. I was hoping Snow would choose the Huntsman in the end, have him cleaned up and make him all princely but instead the film ends on a bit of an ambiguous note with Snow standing around holding a twig for no particular reason, looking as though she's left the gas on.

It's definitely better than the earlier Snow White movie from this year but that doesn't mean it's great. Considering the talent involved I was more than a little disappointed with SWATH. But I'd probably still buy the DVD so I could perv over Hemsworth again. 7 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 20th June 2012
UK Release Date - 30th May 2012

Cast Overview:
Kristen Stewart ~ Snow White
Chris Hemsworth ~ The Huntsman
Charlize Theron ~ Ravenna
Sam Claflin ~ William
Sam Spruell ~ Finn
Ian McShane ~ Beith
Bob Hoskins ~ Muir
Ray Winstone ~ Gort
Nick Frost ~ Nion
Eddie Marsan ~ Duir
Toby Jones ~ Coll

Director ~ Rupert Sanders
Writer(s) ~ Evan Daugherty (Screen Story and Screenplay), John Lee Hancock (Screenplay) and Hossein Amini (Screenplay)

No comments:

Post a Comment