Wednesday 25 July 2012

The Five-Year Engagement

Mini Review

The Five-Year Engagement tells the story of Tom (Jason Segel) and Violet (Emily Blunt) who's initial engagement gets put back due to Violet getting a new job out of state, meaning the couple have to move house. Their nuptials get further delayed by Tom's inability to find a suitable job in their new surroundings and inevitably friends and family beat them to the aisle. Will Tom and Violet ever make it to the wedding they have waited so long for?

I've always liked Emily Blunt and enjoy Jason Segel immensely in How I Met Your Mother, I just don't ever seem to warm to him on film. But the film intrigued me with it's promise (from the producer of Bridesmaids) and by the pairing of it's leads so I wanted to see it. 

Whilst it was quite funny in places I can't say that I laughed an awful lot and it definitely didn't stick in my mind as much as Bridesmaids did. Segel and Blunt did have a comedic chemistry and seemed very comfortable with each other but I didn't really buy the two of them as a couple. Which is kinda necessary in a romantic comedy.

I wouldn't recommend for a cinema outing (especially if you don't get to go that often) but once it's out on DVD you certainly wouldn't go wrong if you were looking for an easy watch comedy on a cosy night in. 6 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 10th July 2012
UK Release Date - 22nd June 2012

Cast Overview:
Jason Segel ~ Tom Soloman
Emily Blunt ~ Violet Barnes
Chris Pratt ~ Alex Eilhauer
Alison Brie ~ Suzie Barnes-Eilhauer
Rhys Ifans ~ Winton Childs


Director ~ Nicholas Stoller
Writer ~ Jason Segel (Screenplay) and Nicholas Stoller (Screenplay)

No comments:

Post a Comment