Tuesday 27 March 2012

Big Miracle

Mini Blog

I saw the poster for Big Miracle but paid no attention to it until my cinema buddy asked if I was going to see Drew Barrymore's new film. Puzzled, I asked what that was as I didn't know she had a new film coming out. Big Miracle he said. The film about the whales I asked? And yes, it turns out Drew made a film about whales. So I looked at the poster with more scrutiny. Based on a true story it said. Yawn. Also starring Dermot Mulroney. I'm there! 

Yes I'm afraid I'm as easy to sway as that. Give me two of my favourite actors and I will see anything! And I have to say that I'm glad I did as this true tale of a family of whales trapped beneath the Alaskan Ice is heart warming, well acted and engaging. Even for those who aren't especially enamoured by whales. 

Looking at the subject matter you could be forgiven for thinking that the film would be quite dull. There are two main factors that stop this from happening. One is a great cast of character actors who have been put together on this movie, Barrymore, Krasinski, Baker, Mulroney, Nelson and LeGros are all recognisable faces who are also really good at what they do. The second thing that keeps you interested in both the humans and the whales are the odds they both have to overcome. Something any family film needs.

It may sound cheesy but if you need a film for kids, that will also keep you interested, and will even impress your mum with the lack of swearing, nudity and violence, I think Big Miracle could be the one for everyone. 7.5 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 12th February 2012
Release Date - 10th February 2012

Cast Overview:
John Krasinski ~ Adam Carlson
Drew Barrymore ~ Rachel Kramer
Kristen Bell ~ Jill Jerard
Vinessa Shaw ~ Kelly Meyers
Ted Danson ~ J W McGraw
Kathy Baker ~ Ruth McGraw
Dermot Mulroney ~ Colonel Scott Boyer
Tim Blake Nelson ~ Pat Lafayette
James LeGros ~ Karl Hootkin
Rob Riggle ~ Dean Glowacki

Director ~ Ken Kwapis
Writer(s) ~ Jack Amiel (Screenplay), Michael Begler (Screenplay) and Thomas Rose (Author of the Book 'Freeing The Whales')

No comments:

Post a Comment