Saturday 31 March 2012

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 3D


While I have seen Star Wars Episode 1 before, and at the cinema, as this was a new 3D outing for the film I felt it only fair to grant this showing with a review.

Those who know me will not be surprised to discover that it was my brother who got me into Star Wars, as he was responsible for getting me into movies in general. However, rather than Episode 1 evoking fond memories of my brother, I have rather different memories of this movie. As this was the first film I saw with my late best friend Miranda. If you've read my blog before you will know that she was very special to me and that she is sadly no longer with us. 

We went to see Episode 1 the first time we met, on my 18th Birthday. I had never had a film experience like it, as Miranda was never one to hide her feelings and I soon found out that this extended to her cinematic viewings too. She whooped and cheered and clapped at the pod race, cried when Ani had to leave his mother, grasped my hand more times than I can remember during the high octane ending and gave a standing ovation to the end credits. Some people would hate being with someone who would be so vocal during a film but I loved it and continue to miss it when I watch the film now.

So of course, when the whispers started about the film getting a 3D release, I knew I had to see it. For Mazzy if for no other reason. This time I went with my cinema buddy, who is also a long time Star Wars fan, possibly an even bigger Star Wars fan than my brother. And that's saying something.

For those unfamiliar with the story, this is a prequel to the world famous sci-fi series of the 70s and 80s and charts the young life of Anakin Skywalker, a slave boy from the sandy planet of Tatooine. A planet that two Jedi Knights happen to de-tour to when their ship needs repair during their mission to help a young Queen from another planet which is under attack. Anakin finds a way to help the Jedi's out of their predicament by taking part in a pod race (the Star Wars equivalent of F1 racing). Meanwhile there is an uprising in the dark side of the force as a new Sith lord is sent to track down the Jedi's to eliminate them.

It was nice to see Phantom Menace back up on the big screen as a film so rich in gorgeous scenery and eye popping effects really does look it's best up there. But as with most 3D releases of late, I did find the 3D unnecessary and mostly unnoticeable. Maybe in an IMAX theatre the result would have been more evident but for me the 3D didn't really add anything. It was still great to watch, the pod race and the final lightsaber battle being my two personal favourites from this installment. 

As I mentioned above the scenery in Episode 1 is stunning, you have Naboo, the home of Queen Amidala, a warm, green planet which also inhabits the Gungans in their home under water beneath Naboo's surface. Then you have Tatooine, a desert-like planet with two suns and finally Coruscant, which is likened to a planet which is like one giant city, the home of the Jedi council and the Galactic Senate. Each planet has a very specific and unique look and feel to it and they each look fantastic on the big screen owing to the detail your eye can really take in.

My final point as to why you should see Episode 1 on the big screen is of course John Williams wonderful score. Especially during the lightsaber battle at the end. Just pure class and sounds great coming out of those giant speakers.

Sure Episode 1 is not exactly known for being the best Star Wars film, but it has it's merits, which I hope I have demonstrated above, and all the best stories have to start somewhere, right? 7 out of 10 (it looses a point for Jar Jar - but then you already knew that didn't you?!)



Viewing Date - 15th February 2012
UK Release Date - 10th February 2012

Cast Overview:
Liam Neeson ~ Qui-Gon Jinn
Ewan McGregor ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi
Natalie Portman ~ Queen Amidala/Padme
Jake Lloyd ~ Anakin Skywalker
Ian McDiarmid ~ Senator Palpatine
Pernilla August ~ Shmi Skywalker
Ahmed Best ~ Jar Jar Binks
Anthony Daniels ~ C-3PO
Kenny Baker ~ R2-D2
Frank Oz ~ Yoda
Terence Stamp ~ Chancellor Valorum
Brian Blessed ~ Boss Nass

Director/Writer ~ George Lucas

2 comments:

  1. Just a tremendous review and managed again to draw a tear. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete