Sunday 24 June 2012

American Pie: Reunion

Mini Blog

This one time, at band camp, I met Alyson Hannigan. Well it wasn't exactly at band camp, but I did meet her. And it suddenly occurs to me that whilst I have talked about lots of other famous people I've seen in real life, Jake, the cast of Harry Potter and Avengers Assemble, I've never written about the time I met Alyson. About time I rectified that don't you think?

It was the summer of 2000, my best friend Miranda and I had learned that Alyson was scheduled to appear at the Virgin Megastore in London to sign the newly released Buffy Season 3 VHS box sets. Yes, VHS. It was THAT long ago. As Willow was undoubtedly our favourite female in the show we HAD to meet her. Just had to. And as Oz had just given Willow a pez witch on the show, we HAD to do that too. Only problem was we couldn't find a pez witch anywhere. So we got her a Marge Simpson pez instead. It was the lamest thing ever now I think back on it but we were young and she was our idol so you have to cut us some slack.

We waited in line for hours, chatting to the geeks (we weren't geeks you understand - we were cool!) behind us in the queue and eventually making our way inside. We glimpsed her from the glass stairs and Miranda (being Miranda) started becoming hysterical. Screaming and jumping up and down. I held our place in the queue and gave her my camera to take some pictures of Aly. She ran back to me stating that she'd seen her stand up to greet someone and she had a very small butt! It's strange the things you remember! When I look at the photo Miranda took now I hear her say 'look at her tiny butt'.

We got closer and closer to the front of the queue and then it was our turn. She signed our boxes, took the Marge Simpson pez "I love The Simpsons" she said, totally missing the point that we'd failed to explain, and had her picture taken with us. I asked her if she would also sign my Buffy yearbook to which she said "I'm not supposed to", but after a quick look around to see if anyone was watching she did it anyway. I still have both the book and the VHS box set. And if I met her again I bet I'd be just as tongue tied. 


So that's how I met one of the sweetest, prettiest and most adorable cast members of the American Pie films. Since Buffy finished I have continued to follow Alyson's career in How I Met Your Mother and although I've avoided the subsequent unrelated American Pie films, I knew I would go and see Reunion, if just for Aly and her tiny butt.

I'm glad to say that the film did everything it said on the poster, and then some. It really felt like the producers had gone back to the roots of the original film and restored the characters to their best. I loved that they got EVERYONE to come back. I don't want to give anything away if you've not seen it, but even some characters you don't think will be there are there in the end. 

It made me laugh, cringe and even made me cry at one point. It was so much better than I'd hoped or expected. So regardless of what you thought of the sequels, if you're a fan of the first slice of Pie, go and see the last. You won't regret it. 7.5 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 22nd May 2012
UK Release Date - 2nd May 2012

Cast Overview:
Jason Biggs ~ Jim Levenstein
Alyson Hannigan ~ Michelle Flaherty-Levenstein
Chris Klein ~ Chris 'Oz' Ostreicher
Thomas Ian Nicholas ~ Kevin Myers
Tara Reid ~ Vicky
Seann William Scott ~ Steve Stifler
Mena Suvari ~ Heather
Eddie Kaye Thomas ~ Paul Finch
Jennifer Coolidge ~ Stifler's Mom
Eugene Levy ~ Jim's Dad

Director(s) ~ Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg
Writer(s) ~ Adam Herz (Characters), Jon Hurwitz (Screenplay) and Hayden Schlossberg (Screenplay)

4 comments:

  1. I loved this film I'd give it an 8 as it was so funny, touching and just feel-fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you in on a secret. I VERY nearly gave it an 8. But then I thought of other films I'd given 8's to and it just wasn't quite there. It's more of a 7.8/7.9 if I'm being really meticulous. I really liked it though and wasn't expecting to as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't believe how much I laughed at it. It was hilarious through-out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, but not so much in the gross out ways that the other sequels had taken to. Which is good. I prefer it that way. I did really like it. You're making me wish I'd just given it an 8 now. Lunchtime be damned. Oh no wait that was something else!

    ReplyDelete