Saturday 2 June 2012

Dark Shadows

Mini Blog


Dark Shadows is the first review I have done of a Johnny Depp/Tim Burton collaboration. As such, it's the first opportunity I have had to talk about my appreciation of both actor and director and the movies they have made together which I have grown up with.

Anyone who has read my randomness blog <http://ladyk23.tumblr.com/post/3815735765/im-new-here-be-kind> will know that Edward Scissorhands is a film which had a MASSIVE impact on me, both as a cinemagoer and as a person. I have no doubt that the gothic nature of that film made me a much darker person. I saw Edward Scissorhands on my 10th birthday (thanks for taking me Bro!) and soon after developed my love of all things black, cobweb-y and skulls. Lots of skulls. This is something that still forms part of who I am today. Sure I never turned into a full fledged goth (something I'm sure my mother and father are most grateful for) but I'm sitting here wearing black nail varnish and a scarf with skulls and crossbones all over it. And no-one who knows me would find this out of character. Because it's been part of who I am for so long.

From Edward onto Ed Wood, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride, Johnny and Tim could do no wrong in my eyes. Then came Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Despite my hatred of Musicals, Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory is one of my favourite childhood films. Gene Wilder is perfect as the wild eyed Willy Wonka, the scenes of chocolate rivers and edible everything stayed with me long into adulthood and I would now probably consider it a bit of a guilty pleasure. The re-make however, does not conjure up the same fond memories. It was all wrong. Johnny was wrong. The umpa-lumpa's were wrong. It just should never have been made. And especially not by Johnny and Tim.

They redeemed themselves somewhat with Sweeny Todd but again as I loathe musicals this was not their best effort. Then came Alice in Wonderland. Again just all wrong. Johnny was wrong. Helena was wrong. Just no no no no no!!!!!

So I'd all but given up on the dream team when Dark Shadows was announced. It could work. Johnny and Tim again exploring the dark, gothic side of film and Johnny playing a vampire. Certainly fulfilling a long time fantasy of mine. But it didn't work. Here's why:

1) Johnny is too old to play a vampire. He's not sexy (I'm not saying in general - just not in this role) and his age makes his relationship with the young girl seem creepy.

2) The film is not funny. It tries to be but the jokes are painfully unfunny and were met by a wall of silence in the viewing I saw.

3) It's too long. The last act of the film goes on for half the length of the movie. And just when you think it's finally over, some other lame plot twist is thrown into the mix.

I really thought that this film would put Johnny and Tim firmly back to their collaborative best but it just re-affirmed something I've been suspecting for a while. That they should stop working together and instead work with new people who may liven both of them up and help them create a fresh approach. This undead tale should be burried. 4 out of 10.

Viewing Date: 13th May 2012
UK Release Date: 11th May 2012

Cast Overview:
Johnny Depp ~ Barnabas Collins
Michelle Pfeiffer ~ Elizabeth Collins Stoddard
Helena Bonham Carter ~ Dr Julia Hoffman
Eva Green ~ Angelique Bouchard
Jackie Earle Haley ~ Willie Loomis
Johnny Lee Miller ~ Roger Collins
Bella Heathcote ~ Victoria Winters/Josette DuPres
Chloe Grace Moretz ~ Carolyn Stoddard
Gulliver McGrath ~ David Collins

Director ~ Tim Burton
Writer(s) ~ Seth Grahame-Smith (Screenplay and Story), John August (Story) and Dan Curtis (Television Series)

No comments:

Post a Comment