Tuesday 11 September 2012

Total Recall

Mini Review

As I understand it, Total Recall (2012) is based on the 1990 movie of the same name starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. I have never seen that movie so can neither confirm nor deny that fact. So I will instead tell you that the 2012 remake tells the story of Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell), who decides to spend an evening of recreation at a company called Rekall. They implant their clients with fake memories of a life they would like to have led, as a "crime fighter, world class athlete or a secret agent". But things take a turn for the worse for Douglas when he finds himself in trouble for a crime he didn't commit. Is he still in the chair at Rekall, all this playing out in his mind, or was he living a lie all along?

As I mentioned above I haven't seen the 1990 movie on which this is supposedly a remake. However, the two people that I saw this version with both said that it bore little resemblance to that movie, and that it really was very different. As I haven't seen the original I am only able to review this movie on it's own merits. And as such I thought it was an okay film. 

It has a lot of futuristic action, hover car chases etc. Lots of running around. Some nice mind trip moments when you don't know what's real and what's not. Fine performances from the cast but the material they're working with isn't great, and with that many scriptwriters you would hope it would be - but I guess the old saying 'too many cooks spoil the broth' is true here. The film is stylish and watchable but just doesn't stand out. 

If you're a fan of the original I don't know that there are enough homages to it for you to find this version worth watching or enjoyable. And if you're not a fan of the original or have never seen it I'm still not sure that I would advise you to go out of your way to watch the remake.

Colin is handsome, the women are beauties alright and they do have a few girl on girl fights (and let's face it, everyone loves a chick fight) but it's just not enough. A disappointing 6 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 28th August 2012
UK Release Date - 29th August 2012

Cast Overview:
Colin Farrell ~ Douglas Quaid / Carl Hauser
Kate Beckinsale ~ Lori Quaid
Jessica Biel ~ Melina
Bryan Cranston ~ Cohaagen
Bokeem Woodbine ~ Harry
Bill Nighy ~ Mattias
John Cho ~ McClane

Director ~ Len Wiseman
Writer(s) ~ Kurt Wimmer (Screenplay and Screen Story), Mark Bomback (Screenplay), Ronald Shusett (Screen Story), Dan O'Bannon (Screen Story), Jon Povill (Screen Story) and Philip K Dick (Inspired by his Short Story 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale')

2 comments:

  1. The source material for both is the Philip K Dick short story "We can remember it for you wholesale".

    He is also responsible for "Minority Report"'s origins and probably most famously for "Do androids dream of electric sheep" which became Blade Runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know - I gave credit to that in the writer(s) section. Didn't know he also did Minority Report and Blade Runner. Watched the original Total Recall the other day, what a pile of rubbish. Actually made me re-evaluate this version.

    ReplyDelete