Thursday 17 February 2011

Blue Valentine


As mentioned previously, I am a big fan of The Notebook. In developing a love of that film I also developed a fondness for it's stars Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling. And as such I tend to look forward to their up-coming projects. Blue Valentine is no exception to that rule. 


Blue Valentine had the added bonus of also starring Michelle Williams, who I've been a fan of since her Dawson's Creek days. I was eagerly anticipating the film's release when I read a fascinating interview with Ms Williams in Empire Magazine (http://tinyurl.com/6hq9toh). In the interview Williams talks about how committed she'd been to telling this story, ever since she first read the script when she was in her early 20s*. The interview also sheds light on the director's methods of enabling his actors to get to know each other well enough to hate each other. Williams explains how she and Gosling prepared for their roles by living together for a month, in between filming, in order to find out what would annoy them about each other if they were a real couple. For example, what would make them argue etc.


By the time the film's release date came around, it was obvious that none of the cinemas in my town (or surrounding area) were going to be showing it. I find it's always the way with the ones you REALLY want to see! Thankfully I have an amazing best friend who not only wanted to see the film, but also didn't mind taking time out of her Valentines Day plans to go to London, and see the film with me at the delightful Prince Charles Cinema.


The film flips between present day bitterness and the bittersweet early days of Cindy and Dean. They met by chance when he was working for a removal firm, moving an elderly man into a home. She happened to be visiting her grandmother at the same home on the same day. As Cindy had a boyfriend, she turned down Dean's offer of a date. They meet again a month later when Cindy has become disillusioned with said boyfriend and decides to give Dean a chance. In between these flashes of the past we also see Dean and Cindy as they are now, embittered and worn down by life, family, jobs and each other. The film continues to switch between Cindy and Dean then, getting to know each other and falling in love, to now, knowing too much about the other person and falling out of love. 


While I concede that this is not the cheeriest of films, I thought it did accurately portray the way that people drift apart and how sometimes, love just isn't enough. The interwoven flashback scenes of how Dean and Cindy met and fell in love are so believable. So much so that I felt a little uncomfortable watching the more intimate scenes, as though I were peeking into a real couple's private life through a keyhole. This only speaks of how good Williams and Gosling are, and how much they put themselves into these characters. Their director clearly had method to his madness in having them live together during filming, as I'm sure it was this prolonged time together that made their performances so grounded in reality. 


I can't go so far as to say that the film was enjoyable, as watching two people fight for their love rarely is. But I will say that it was a fascinating insight into the lives of a realistic and thoughtfully portrayed (dis)functional couple. 8 out of 10.
*For the purpose of grasping how long writer/director Derek Cianfrance has been trying to get Blue Valentine made and released, Michelle Williams is now 30.


Viewing Date - 14th February 2011
UK Release Date - 14th January 2011

Cast Overview:
Ryan Gosling ~ Dean
Michelle Williams ~ Cindy
Faith Wladyka ~ Frankie
John Doman ~ Jerry
Mike Vogel ~ Bobby

Director/Writer ~ Derek Cianfrance
Writer ~ Cami Delavigne
Writer ~ Joey Curtis


2 comments:

  1. Reading your review I was reminded of Revolutionary Road - would you say it is similar in how it deals with relationships when life gets in the way of romance or does it have a different feel to that claustrophobic story telling?

    I planned on going to the cinema to see it but somehow managed to miss it, to add to Lovefilm or not, that is the question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely add it to lovefilm. I would say that it was similar to RR in the way it looks at relationships, exactly as you have said, when life gets in the way, but obviously in a more contemporary setting. And also in a more blue collar setting. Whereas RR was about the trappings of suburbia this is about being disenchanted with each other, the trailer they live in is just part of the bigger picture. I did like it a lot more than I liked RR, if 'like' is the right word? It held my interest a lot more and I actually wanted them to make it in the end whereas I don't think I really cared either way about Kate and Leo?

    ReplyDelete