Tuesday 1 February 2011

Hereafter


As I said on the Black Swan review (below), there are some films I know I will probably end up seeing even if the trailer doesn't particularly grab me. This is mainly because I'm an Unlimited Cineworld card holder and I go to the cinema a lot! It's also because I love movies and I particularly love watching movies at the cinema. You can keep your pirate DVD's coz I'd rather see a film the way it was meant to be seen, on the big screen.

Ok, ramble over. The reason I mention this is that Hereafter was a movie for which I saw the trailer but the trailer didn't really make me want to see the film. If you also felt that way I urge you *now* to ignore the trailer and go watch the film. It's directed by Clint Eastwood, who's only other directorial film I've seen is Million Dollar Baby. While I liked that movie it didn't inspire me to watch everything else Mr Eastwood had directed (or starred in). Hereafter is something entirely different.

The film is separated into 3 stories. The first story we encounter sees a French Journalist, Marie (Cecile De France), swept away by a Tsunami whilst on holiday (it's never confirmed but I assume this is meant to be the Indonesian Tsunami of Christmas 2004). Marie drowns but is resuscitated and retains memories of her brief encounter with what lies beyond. The second story is about twin brothers, Jason and Marcus, who live in London with their junkie/drunk single mother. Whilst running an errand one day, one of the boys - Jason - is killed in a car accident. His brother Marcus is left alone to deal with his mum, foster care and coming to terms with his brothers death. The third story centers on American factory worker George (Matt Damon). He's a psychic who's turned his back on his 'gift' believing it to be more of a curse. All 3 stories share the theme of death and it's effects on the living.

This might not sound like the cheeriest of films. I won't lie to you. It isn't. But it is thought provoking, well writen, insightfully directed and beautifully acted. One of the problems I had with the trailer (that put me off seeing the film) was the fact that it showed the star of the film to be Matt Damon. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Matt Damon. But I also don't own any of his movies. If you feel similarly let me re-assure you that although he is the biggest name amongst the actors, this is very much an ensemble cast and they are all faultless. Matt Damon included. I am happy to state now that when this DVD is released it will be my first purchase of a Matt Damon movie. My only criticism, cast wise, would be the underuse of Bryce Dallas Howard as I wish there'd been more of her character. This is only a minor criticism however as I don't think they could've made her role bigger without making major changes to the story. 

I was so surprised by this film on so many levels. How attached I got to the characters, how well the characters were established and not made into caricatures, how the stories all blended and each character had equal screen time to tell their story and finally, *SPOILER ALERT* how the moment when they finally all meet is believable and cleverly conceived when it could've so easily seemed contrived. 

I could go on all night (and nearly have!) about how good I thought this was and I really hope that my passion for the film will mean at least 1 other person goes to see it. Excellent 9 out of 10.


Viewing Date - 1st February 2011
UK Release Date - 28th January 2011

Cast Overview:
Matt Damon / George Lonegan
Cecile De France / Marie LeLay
Frankie and George McLaren / Marcus and Jason
Lyndsey Marshal / Jackie - Marcus and Jason's Mother
Thierry Neuvic / Didier - Marie's Lover
Bryce Dallas Howard / Melanie
Jay Mohr / Billy Lonegan - George's brother

Director ~ Clint Eastwood
Writer ~ Peter Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment