Thursday 17 February 2011

The Princess Bride


For the explanation of how I came to go to a special screening of one of my all time favourite films The Princess Bride, you will need to read the corresponding post on my personal blog as it's kind of a story in itself. 


Having said that I will say that I saw this on the same day as Blue Valentine and at the same cinema, the Prince Charles Cinema in London (http://www.princecharlescinema.com/). One of the reasons I love that cinema so much is the fact that they show quirky independent films on general release as well as special screenings of older classics, such as this.


I honestly can't remember how old I was when my brother introduced me to this film but I'm sure I must have been around 10 or 11 years old. Basically around the age of Fred Savage's character at the start of the story. I loved it instantly as I'm sure any kid that age must have. I continue to love it to this day, for reasons different to those which made me love it as a child, and for many of the same reasons I loved it as a child. It is consistently the film I watch when I'm sick, to make me feel better.


In case you don't know, The Princess Bride is a film based on a book by William Goldman. In the film, the novel 'The Princess Bride' is read by a grandfather (Peter Falk) to his poorly grandson (Savage). As the grandfather says to the grandson (to get him interested in the book) it's a tale that includes "fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love and miracles". What more could you ask?


In the enactment of the narration we meet Buttercup, a young woman who lives on a farm in the fictional country of Florin. Her only company is Westley, her farm boy whom she loves to torment. He only ever says three words in response to her every command, "As you wish". One day, Buttercup realises that when Westley says "As you wish" he is really saying that he loves her. This realisation sparks another for Buttercup, that she truly loves him back. Westley has no means for marriage to Buttercup so he seeks his fortune across the seas, but his ship is attacked by pirates with a reputation for leaving no survivors. Buttercup, believing Westley to be dead, is inconsolable. Five years later Buttercup is chosen by the heir to the throne of Florin, Prince Humperdinck, as his bride to be. What Buttercup doesn't know, is that he secretly plans to start a war with the country across the sea, Guilder, by having her murdered and framing the Guilderians for her death.


Has Westley's death all been a bad dream? Does Buttercup succumb to Prince Humperdinck's dastardly plan? Does it all end happily ever after? Well if you haven't already seen The Princess Bride there is NO WAY I'm going to tell you. You will simply have to buy (Amazon - http://tinyurl.com/6caln6a) or rent (LoveFilm - http://tinyurl.com/6boftob) it and find out! To borrow the tagline I will tell you is that this is 'not just your basic, average, everyday, ordinary, run-of-the-mill, ho-hum fairytale'. It's so much more! Among other things it's a love story, a fairytale, a comedy and a revenge plot. 


It has sumptuous costumes and locations, filled with some of the most ridiculous characters you'll ever see. The dialogue is perfectly witty and sarcastic in equal measure, and so completely out of place for the era (and yet perfectly fitting at the same time) it's hilarious. The casting is genius, without any exception. I wouldn't change a single member of this cast or the way they portray their characters. I love the way this movie has me laughing, crying, quoting, caring, hating and adoring every moment. Therefore I think it's fitting that The Princess Bride should be my first - but hopefully not last - perfect 10 of the year. 10 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 14th February 2011
Original UK Release Date - November 1987 (I was 6)

Cast Overview:
Cary Elwes ~ Westley
Robin Wright ~ Buttercup
Mandy Patinkin ~ Inigo
Andre the Giant ~ Fezzik
Wallace Shawn ~ Vizzini
Chris Sarandon ~ Prince Humperdinck
Christopher Guest ~ Count Rugen
Billy Crystal ~ Miracle Max
Carol Kane ~ Valerie
Peter Cook ~ The Impressive Clergyman
Mel Smith ~ The Albino
Fred Savage ~ The Grandson
Peter Falk ~ The Grandfather/Narrator

Director ~ Rob Reiner
Writer ~ William Goldman (Screenplay written from his Book)


No comments:

Post a Comment