Thursday 9 February 2012

The Artist

*OSCAR SPECIAL*
NOMINATED FOR BEST PICTURE 

My loyal readers will know that I recently wrote a blog about the Oscar nominations and that I have been giving out some of my own awards over the last few weeks. The mention of the Oscar nominations on my facebook page, and one comment in particular that followed, asking if I had seen The Artist yet, caused a frenzy amongst my friends and the post gained 29 comments.

At the time I didn't want to venture into a great debate about the film as I intended to write a review for it. However, with friends almost coming to blows, some in defense of the film, some quite against it, it was hard for me to stand aside and watch all of this unfold on my wall.

But as promised, finally, here is the review...

From the word 'go', The Artist was not a film I was particularly interested in seeing. I am not a fan of Black and White film, not because I think old films are less interesting or entertaining or have any less to say than modern film. I just find them quite boring. I find they don't hold my attention as well as films now-a-days. Whether it's because audiences now have a shorter attention span and editors are wise to that and mix things up faster, I don't know? I'm just telling it the way I see it. But like a lot of people I was intrigued by the notion of this novel idea, a silent film for modern cinema-goers, and knew I would have to see it for myself.

The Artist tells the story of successful silent film actor George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) and rising star Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo). The former finds his career starts to fade with the introduction of 'talkies' - motion pictures with sound and dialogue - while the latter sees her roles getting bigger and bigger. As George finds himself unable to adapt to this new genre of film he clings desperately to the silent film industry he knows and loves, as it loses audiences and money. As a last ditch attempt to save his career, and his pride, George bankrolls his own film which has to stand up against stiff competition from Peppy's latest blockbuster at the box office.

Those who saw or were involved in the facebook comments will already know what I thought of The Artist, as I pretty much said everything I was going to save for the review. But for those who didn't see the comments I will sum up.

Overall I did enjoy The Artist. Yes I did feel that it was a little on the long side and I did get bored a couple of times but I did like it for what it was. A novelty. I wouldn't want to see every film made in this way but of course that was not the point. For re-introducing silent film to mainstream cinema would not have gained The Artist all of the press and awards it has received. What has done that is the novelty factor.


But the novelty was not my biggest problem with the film. My problem with it came down to the fact that the producers didn't exactly choose the most fascinating or uplifting story in which to showcase this gimmick. Ultimately I felt like the story was quite weak and more importantly could have been set at any point in the past, present or future. 



Not just in the way of this being an average love story. If anything I felt the connection between George and Peppy was the only thing that kept me interested. What I'm talking about is the general story itself being very average and ultimately meaning that it could have been set at any time and place. Sure this was a film about actors and the folding of the silent film industry. But if this hadn't specifically been a story about actors it would not have needed to be a silent film. On my facebook wall I used the recent decline of Kodak as my point of reference. They were once the pioneers of photography but they couldn't keep up with technology and now they're folding. It happens all the time across all industries. So if this wasn't a film about actors it wouldn't have had to centralise on the decline of silent films and therefore wouldn't have felt the need to use that genre as a gimmick. But then it wouldn't have all the buzz surrounding it either.

So while I admit that I did enjoy the film, it didn't leave a lasting impression of the enjoyment, instead the enjoyment I got from the novelty soon wore off and left a sour taste. The effects of which you can see for yourself above. Needless to say I won't be buying it on DVD and I would not go out of my way to see it again as it's a film of little value once you've seen the gimmick in all it's black and white glory. 

It will probably win a shed load of awards but really only deserves a handful of them. 5 out of 10.



Viewing Date - 22nd January 2012
UK Release Date - 30th December 2011

Cast Overview:
Jean Dujardin ~ George Valentin
Berenice Bejo ~ Peppy Miller
John Goodman ~ Al Zimmer
James Cromwell ~ Clifton
Penelope Ann Miller ~ Doris
Missi Pyle ~ Constance
Beth Grant ~ Peppy's Maid

Director/Writer (scenario and dialogue) ~ Michel Hazanavicius

No comments:

Post a Comment