Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Lady K Academy Film Awards Day 4 - Best Classic Film Experience

Tonight we have the forth award of the Lady K Academy. As it is my cinema buddy's birthday today I have allowed him the honor of choosing the prestigious award that is to be given out on this date.


So tonight's award is for Best Classic Film Experience. Allow me to explain; Last year I saw seven classic 80s films at the cinema. Not re-releases like The Lion King 3D but one-off screenings of movies that I'd never before seen on a big screen. So I decided to create a special award for the best experience I had watching these 80s classics. Not just for the film but for the whole cinematic experience.


The winner of Best Classic Film Experience is...

Aliens

A rare experience indeed as I saw this in my local independent cinema, which on previous visits had failed to impress me. But it was an amazing film with a fantastic audience and despite equally wonderful experiences at my favourite independent cinema in London, this experience just topped the others. And as I saw this with my cinema buddy it makes it all the more appropriate that this should be the award given out on his birthday. 

My review at the time also picked up on the overall experience of the screening: "The showing of Aliens was sold out and the atmosphere was electric. Fans cheered at the start of the grainy original reel of the film. Favourite lines (mostly by Hudson "No way man!") were met with an auditorium of laughter and those less familiar with the film jumped at all the scary moments. I could not have asked for a better way to experience one of my all time favourite horrors."



Runners Up:
The Princess Bride
Labyrinth

Did you manage to see a classic film at the cinema last year? Or is there one you'd have liked to have seen? Tell me about it below...

2 comments:

  1. Above, plus Ghostbusters.

    Favourite classic experience is Living in Oblivion ...With you.

    How awesome was that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that was pretty awesome. I was thinking about that today actually as I saw Big Miracle which co-starred Dermy and James Le Gros. I was laughing about Chad Palomino walking down the road...

    ReplyDelete